Last updated 5th January 2021
Arranging a funeral during Covid 19
To be faced with planning a funeral during Lockdown is not easy with the limited number of people allowed to attend, reduced service times and no possibility of a Wake.
To reflect what we have seen happening, we have simplified our pricing and funeral services to help make it easier for a family.
Our ‘simple’ funerals cover all options whether an unattended funeral (direct cremation), an attended funeral with no formal service (No Fuss) or you would like a service led for you by a celebrant or minister with a few personal touch points (simple cremation).
We do also offer a unique choice at GreenAcres Chiltern for a cremation funeral – when you feel a need for private, unhurried time.
All our choices are below, first a few essential details:
How many people can attend a funeral during Covid lockdown?
The legal limit to attend a funeral remains 30 people, however, with social spacing some crematorium chapels are limited to nearer 20 people due to their chapel size.
Churches can accommodate 30 people.
Burial funerals without a church service are mainly graveside only due to the cemetery chapels being closed. Each cemetery differs re how many attendees they allow.
A funeral wake can be attended by 6 people in a Covid secure venue, however with all hospitality venues closed and no mixing of households allowed – it’s proving difficult..
Simple funeral choices during Covid lockdown:
- This is a funeral without a service (the funeral of choice for David Bowie), we just organise the cremation and the return of the ashes.
- Cost £950 + 3rd party costs
No Fuss Attended Funeral pre 10am
- When a direct cremation feels too remote and you wish to be at the chapel but do not want a formal service. Listen to music, share memories – we can advise. This service is held at either Mortlake, Putney Vale or Kingston Crematorium as they all offer a discounted rate pre-10am.
- Cost: £1,550 + 3rd party costs
Simple Cremation Funeral during lockdown
- Service can be minister or celebrant led to help structure a service that will make the most of the time available. Options for transport, coffins, flowers help to personalise the touches that are important to you – or just keep things really simple. Crematorium service time is typically 20 minutes.
- Cost: £1,750 + 3rd party costs and options
- This is an entirely different experience for a funeral. The service takes place in a beautiful Woodland Hall surrounded by forest, you have up to an hour of time. There is no conveyor belt that you find at the crematorium, it will feel like your own private space.
- Cost, £2,250 + 3rd party costs and options
Burial Funeral during lockdown
Direct to graveside
- With most cemetery chapels closed, the service is held direct at graveside.
- Cost £1,750 + 3rd party fees + options
Church + graveside
- Churches are still allowed to hold a funeral service. so up to 30 can attend the church service. The committal will then take place at the cemetery graveside.
- Cost £2,250 + 3rd party fees + options
A funeral for a Covid death
If a death is directly linked to COVID-19, the main change is that it will not be possible to view the body and neither can we dress them. However, any personal items you wish to be placed in the coffin with your loved one we will sort. The funeral will not be affected
Temporary restrictions for funeral services:
- Face coverings must be worn
- Family pallbearers are not allowed at some crematoria and cemeteries – we can advise
- Not all waiting rooms are open – we can advise
- This means that you will need to wait in your car until we come to collect you
- No approaching the coffin and no items other than coffin flowers can be taken into a chapel – this is because of the cleans that take place between each service, they need to limit surfaces touched
- Adhere to current social distancing guidelines with people outside of your household
- No audience singing is allowed – but a professional singer is allowed
- No wind instruments are allowed, but some instruments are
- Some crematoriums insist the curtains must close at the end of the service – we can advise.
How White Rose Modern Funerals are addressing Covid period funerals
Prior to this pandemic, we have helped many families that wanted a simple funeral for a small gathering – and we have seen many personal, meaningful farewells that have helped to give a family a sense of peace. So we are well placed to help families create a meaningful farewell through this turbulent period.
If you need to plan a funeral, please call 020 3281 1045 to speak to Jacqui or Nick – we’re here to help you.