ARRANGING A FUNERAL DURING THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
If you are faced with planning a funeral please just call us – Nick and Jacqui – 020 3281 1045 and we can guide you through what will need to happen and how we can help you.
The situation is changing daily, we are holding initial family calls by phone, conference call, skype or zoom.
We are a calm voice that will help. Please call 020 3281 1045
£2,250 + disbursements and any optional extras
We serve families in West / SW London to NE Surrey
A natural burial funeral is a gentle and environmentally friendly alternative to a traditional cemetery burial. In addition to full burials, some natural burial grounds also provide interment of ashes (ashes burials).
You may have a desire to minimise the environmental impact of a funeral. Or perhaps prefer the idea of a tranquil, unhurried funeral in the scenic and peaceful surroundings of a natural woodland, meadow or nature reserve.
Whatever your motivation, a natural burial is for people of all faiths or none who want a greener funeral where the body is returned back to nature, helping to create a sustainable habitat for local wildlife.
Arranging a natural burial funeral
At White Rose Modern Funerals, we can help you find the perfect, peaceful and environmentally friendly resting-place.
There are many sites easily accessible from SW London and Surrey – from the tranquil nature reserve at Clandon Wood Natural Burial Ground to the glorious mature woodland at GreenAcres Chiltern (see natural burial grounds).
We then ensure that all aspects of the burial meet with the relevant ecological requirements of the chosen site. This includes using a biodegradable coffin or shroud and having a suitable gravemarker.
The funeral ceremony
You may choose to hold the funeral ceremony at the natural burial ground – many sites have halls, ceremonial buildings or pavilions available to hire. Or you may have the service elsewhere, for example in a church. Or you may prefer a simple graveside committal.
Whatever you decide, we will work with a minister or celebrant to help personalise the service – or help you arrange an intimate, family-led service.
However formal or informal, large or small, religious or secular, we work hand in hand with you to ensure you have the perfect farewell that reflects the life of your loved one.
Keeping it green
- Eco-friendly coffins; we have a range of coffins made from sustainably sourced, biodegradable materials such as English Willow, bamboo, seagrass or cardboard with degradable linings (no MDF or plastic fittings).
- Transportation; you may prefer not to use a traditional black hearse, in which case we can provide a smart hearsette (modified Ford Galaxy) or one of a range of alternative funeral vehicles.
- Flowers; our florist is able to ensure 100% biodegradable materials are used for funeral flowers upon request. We also make it easy for families to request donations in lieu of flowers by creating an online funeral notice page with a charity donation link.
- No embalming; embalming is an unnecessarily invasive procedure for which there is generally no need. It is not permitted at natural burial grounds to avoid toxic chemicals leaching into the air and soil.
- Grave marker; we adhere to the rules for each burial site – some allow a simple wooden plaque or engraved slate marker, others allow planting of trees or native flowers.
Association of Green Funeral Directors
White Rose Modern Funerals is a member of the Association of Green Funeral Directors.
This means we adhere to their code of practice – see the ‘Keeping it Green’ section above. It also means being transparent with pricing details, empowering bereaved families to arrange a funeral that meets their individual needs and allowing them to have as much involvement as they want.
Natural Burials Summary
At White Rose Modern Funerals we support and guide you through planning a funeral, giving you flexibility and choice.
If the environmental ethos behind a natural burial funeral appeals to you, we are able to recommend a suitable natural burial ground and ensure that the coffin or urn is made from natural, sustainable and biodegradable materials.
We will help you arrange a beautiful bespoke funeral service that reflects the unique character of the person who has died. You may choose a simple family-led service or we can recommend a celebrant, humanist or minister to lead the service.
Our fresh approach to pricing will give you transparency– and help to minimise unnecessary costs for a greener, more natural funeral.
Our knowledge and organisation skills will help you through what we know is an overwhelming and difficult time.
My family and I are deeply grateful for the sensitive handling of my husband’s funeral by White Rose Funerals in May 2019. What could have been distressing and unbearably sad turned into a celebration of my husband’s life, with us remembering the good life we had shared with him and his many qualities, his humour, his thoughtfulness, with which he enriched our lives. We are thankful to White Rose for their understanding and the care with which they first sought to establish our wishes and then arranged the funeral in exactly the way we had hoped for. Angelika P
The cost of a Natural Burial Funeral
White Rose Modern Funerals fee: £2,250 + disbursements
- Our fee includes black hearse or hearsette transport – transferable value applied should you prefer an alternative transport option.
Disbursements for this type of funeral are typically:
- Natural burial plot and interment fee (dependent on choice of natural burial ground)
You can then choose from a range of options such as the coffin, flowers, order of service, photo and additional limousines (see Options).
Disbursements are celebrant or minister fees that will be added to our invoice, which is to be paid in full prior to the funeral. Burial plots will need to be purchased direct from the Natural Burial Ground.
Our fee includes
- Comprehensive support and planning to help inform and guide you,
- Collection of your loved one to be taken to private mortuary*
- Online announcement / RSVP page to inform family & friends of the funeral details
- Transportation of your loved one in a smart black hearse or hearsette direct to the burial ground.
Alternative vehicles and hearse procession leaving from your home – see Options.
- Up to 4 Pallbearers
- Professional communication throughout, so you have clarity as to what is being organised and anything you need to do
* Out of hours collection – Monday – Friday 5pm – 9am, weekends and bank holidays incur an additional £195 fee (typically applies when collecting from a home or nursing home). Collections outside of a 20 mile radius of Teddington are charged at £2 per mile.
As you decide the style of service you would like, the following options are all available at an additional cost. We will arrange everything for you, so you don’t have to worry. You can view more details in the Options menu of this site.
- Coffin – a suitable environmentally friendly coffin (or shroud) would be required – see coffin options
- A black hearse or hearsette is included in our price, but alternative choices of transport from stylish, to quirky, to unusual are available at an additional cost – see funeral vehicles (transferable value of £150 applied should you prefer an alternative transport option)
- Hearse procession to leave from the home (£100 supplement)
- Limousines – carry 6 people (£300 per vehicle)
- Dressing of your loved one in chosen outfit (£100 supplement)
- Private viewing of your loved one in Chapel of Rest (£100 supplement)
- Officiant for the service – see celebrant or minister (typically £220)
- Order of service printed booklet – see order of service (from £75)
- Photo printing – large format A2 print (£35)
- Flowers – a beautiful casket spray or floral tribute – see funeral flowers (from £160)
We are also able to assist with further personalisation for a funeral service or celebration of life – please enquire for pricing:
- Memorial Book
- Personalised Balloons
- Remembrance Candles
- Favours and Keepsakes
How it works
- Call us on 020 3281 1045 or complete our contact form
- We will arrange to meet you – either at your home, our office or other convenient location
- We will complete statutory forms and paperwork
- We will collect your loved one and bring them into our care
- We will liaise with you regarding choice of dates and natural burial ground.
- We will hand hold you through the whole process of planning the funeral, taking you through stage by stage so you are not overwhelmed, keeping you fully informed
- Choose music tracks or hymns for the service
- We can recommend a Minister or Celebrant if required
- See also Celebration of Life
Call 020 3281 1045 to speak to Nick or Jacqui about arranging a natural burial funeral. We will be happy to talk you through the process and answer any questions you may have.
Based in Teddington, White Rose provide burials and cremations throughout South West London and Surrey. As a husband and wife team, we hold your hand each step of the way to help organise a simple, modern, meaningful funeral.