A natural burial funeral is a gentle and environmentally friendly alternative to a traditional cemetery. Most natural burial grounds also have areas for the interment of ashes (ashes burials).
You may have a desire to minimise the environmental impact of a funeral – where the body is returned back to nature, helping to create a sustainable habitat for local wildlife.
Or perhaps you wish for a tranquil, unhurried funeral in the scenic and peaceful surroundings of a natural woodland, meadow or nature reserve. A place where you can visit time and again to quietly reflect.
A natural burial is not specific to any faith or following.
£1,950 graveside service only | £2,250 ceremony in hall plus graveside
+ 3rd party costs & options
We serve families in West / SW London to NE Surrey
Arranging a natural burial funeral
We can help you to find the perfect, peaceful and environmentally friendly resting-place.
Easily accessible from SW London and Surrey are the tranquil nature reserve at Clandon Wood Natural Burial Ground, Oakfield Wood at Shamley Green and the glorious mature woodland at GreenAcres Chiltern. There are a number of other grounds to explore – see natural burial grounds.
We can advise on how to create a natural, meaningful service. And we ensure that all aspects of the burial meet with the relevant ecological requirements of the chosen site. This includes using a biodegradable coffin or shroud and a suitable gravemarker.
The funeral ceremony
You may choose to hold the funeral ceremony at the natural burial ground – many sites have halls, ceremonial buildings or pavilions available to hire. Or you may have the service elsewhere, for example in a church. Or you may prefer a simple graveside committal.
Whatever you decide, we will work with a minister or celebrant to help personalise the service – or help you arrange an intimate, family-led service.
However formal or informal, large or small, religious or secular, we work hand in hand with you to ensure you have the perfect farewell that reflects the life of your loved one.
Keeping it green
- Eco-friendly coffins; we have a range of coffins made from sustainably sourced, biodegradable materials such as English Willow, bamboo, seagrass or cardboard with degradable linings (no MDF or plastic fittings).
- Transportation; you may prefer not to use a traditional black hearse, in which case we can provide a smart hearsette (modified Ford Galaxy) or one of a range of alternative funeral vehicles.
- Flowers; our florist is able to ensure 100% biodegradable materials are used for funeral flowers upon request. We also make it easy for families to request donations in lieu of flowers by creating an online funeral notice page with a charity donation link.
- No embalming; embalming is an unnecessarily invasive procedure for which there is generally no need. It is not permitted at natural burial grounds to avoid toxic chemicals leaching into the air and soil.
- Grave marker; we adhere to the rules for each burial site – some allow a simple wooden plaque or engraved slate marker, others allow planting of trees or native flowers.
Association of Green Funeral Directors
White Rose Modern Funerals is a member of the Association of Green Funeral Directors.
This means we adhere to their code of practice – see the ‘Keeping it Green’ section above. It also means being transparent with pricing details, empowering bereaved families to arrange a funeral that meets their individual needs and allowing them to have as much involvement as they want.
Natural Burials Summary
At White Rose Modern Funerals we support and guide you through planning a funeral, giving you flexibility and choice.
If the environmental ethos behind a natural burial funeral appeals to you, we are able to recommend a suitable natural burial ground and ensure that the coffin or urn is made from natural, sustainable and biodegradable materials.
We will help you arrange a beautiful bespoke funeral service that reflects the unique character of the person who has died. You may choose a simple family-led service or we can recommend a celebrant, humanist or minister to lead the service.
Our fresh approach to pricing will give you transparency– and help to minimise unnecessary costs for a greener, more natural funeral.
Our knowledge and organisation skills will help you through what we know is an overwhelming and difficult time.
My family and I are deeply grateful for the sensitive handling of my husband’s funeral by White Rose Funerals in May 2019. What could have been distressing and unbearably sad turned into a celebration of my husband’s life, with us remembering the good life we had shared with him and his many qualities, his humour, his thoughtfulness, with which he enriched our lives. We are thankful to White Rose for their understanding and the care with which they first sought to establish our wishes and then arranged the funeral in exactly the way we had hoped for. Angelika P
The cost of a Natural Burial Funeral
White Rose Modern Funerals fee: £2,250 + 3rd party costs & options
Our fee includes
- Comprehensive support and planning to help guide you
- Collection of your loved one to be taken to private mortuary*
- Online announcement page with online RSVP
- Our smart Galaxy hearsette can be provided free of charge and typically suits the feel of a natural burial. Other hearse options are available.
- For procession to leave from family home please see options
- Additional location for the service – fee reduced to £1,950 for graveside service only
* Out of hours collection – Monday – Friday 4pm – 9am, weekends and bank holidays – incur an additional £195 fee (typically applies when collecting from a home or nursing home). Collections outside of 10 mile radius of Teddington are charged at £2 per mile.
Example burial plot and interment fees
Each natural burial ground has its own fee schedule, they typically charge from £1,240 (Shamley Green), £2,150 (Clandon Wood) and £2,240 (GreenAcres Chilterns). See list of natural burial grounds.
Standard payment terms
Once all options have been agreed an invoice is raised we ask that invoice payment is made in full 3 working days before the funeral takes place.
You would need to pay separately for the natural burial plot and interment fee (dependent on choice of natural burial ground).
You can then choose from a range of options such as the coffin, flowers, order of service and additional limousines (see Options).
As you decide the style of service you would like, the following options are all available at an additional cost. We will arrange everything for you, so you don’t have to worry. You can view more details in the Options menu of this site.
- Coffin – a suitable environmentally friendly coffin (or shroud) would be required – see coffin options
- Our Galaxy hearsette is included in our price, but alternative choices of transport from a traditional black hearse to stylish, quirky or unusual vehicles are available at an additional cost – see funeral vehicles (transferable value of £150 applied should you prefer an alternative transport option)
- Hearse procession to leave from the home (£100 supplement)
- Limousines – carry 6 people (£300 per vehicle)
- Pallbearers – typically 4 needed (£60 each)
- Dressing of your loved one in chosen outfit (£75 supplement)
- Private viewing of your loved one in Chapel of Rest (£100 supplement)
- Officiant for the service – see celebrant or minister (typically £220)
- Order of service printed booklet – see order of service (from £75)
- Photo printing – large format A2 print (£35)
- Flowers – a beautiful casket spray or floral tribute – see funeral flowers (from £160)
We are also able to assist with further personalisation for a funeral service or celebration of life – please enquire for pricing:
- Memorial Book
- Personalised Balloons
- Remembrance Candles
- Favours and Keepsakes
How it works
- Call us on 020 3281 1045 or complete our contact form
- We will arrange to meet you – either at your home, our office or other convenient location
- We will complete statutory forms and paperwork
- We will collect your loved one and bring them into our care
- We will liaise with you regarding choice of dates and natural burial ground.
- We will hand hold you through the whole process of planning the funeral, taking you through stage by stage so you are not overwhelmed, keeping you fully informed
- Choose music tracks or hymns for the service
- We can recommend a Minister or Celebrant if required
- See also Celebration of Life
Call 020 3281 1045 to speak to Nick or Jacqui about arranging a natural burial funeral. We will be happy to talk you through the process and answer any questions you may have.
Based in Teddington, White Rose provide burials and cremations throughout South West London and Surrey. As a husband and wife team, we hold your hand each step of the way to help organise a simple, modern, meaningful funeral.