A natural burial funeral is a gentle and environmentally friendly alternative to a traditional cemetery. Most natural burial grounds also have areas for the interment of ashes (ashes burials).
You may have a desire to minimise the environmental impact of a funeral – where the body is returned back to nature, helping to create a sustainable habitat for local wildlife.
Or perhaps you wish for a tranquil, unhurried funeral in the scenic and peaceful surroundings of a natural woodland, meadow or nature reserve. A place where you can visit time and again to quietly reflect.
A natural burial is not specific to any faith or following.
Our pricing for funerals is fully transparent and flexible – you only pay for those elements that you require. Some fees are essential, others are optional, so the total cost will depend on the choices you make. When we have chatted through with you what you would like, we send a personalised Fee Summary showing the breakdown of costs in accordance with what you choose.
|White Rose Modern Funerals fee (graveside service only) *||£1,950|
|Burial Fees (sometimes called Interment Fee – based on natural burial grounds local to SW London – these fees are payable directly to the natural burial ground)||Typically £295 – £795|
|Purchase Fees (sometimes called Plot Fee – based on natural burial grounds local to SW London – these fees are payable directly to the natural burial ground)||Typically £945 – £5,995|
|Transporting the coffin (our Galaxy hearsette is provided at no extra cost as a relaxed form of transport is more suitable for a natural burial ground)||No charge / Alternative hearse from £450|
|Coffin||Choice of natural eco-friendly coffins – willow, plain wood, bamboo, wool, cardboard and more £250 – £795|
|4 pallbearers @ £60 each (based on graveside service only – not needed if family pallbearers)||£240|
|Minister or Celebrant for up to an hour service (or the service can be family led, we can advise)||£300|
|Church fee for service in church followed by natural burial (includes minister, organist and verger fee – to be confirmed as varies between churches)||From £228|
|Additional fee for 4 pallbearers if separate service before burial (not needed if family pallbearers – subject to church being safe enough to carry – steps require professional help)||£80|
|Family transport (limousine carries 6 people and will wait to end of service to travel to the wake or return to the family home)
||Limousines from £300 / Executive hire car POA (locally from £50)|
|Order of Service design and print (priced per copy, minimum 20 copies)||from £60|
|Video slideshow of photos (approx 30 photos set to chosen music track to be used as a reflection piece)||£95|
|Flowers – we recommend Leonoor, Rose & Mary (you order through and pay her direct)||Hand tied bouquets from £85, sprays £135 – £295|
|Additional funeral director fee if service is to be held in a church or ceremonial hall before the burial||£300|
|Dressing your family member in chosen outfit (dressing is a personal choice and not obligatory – a dignified soft coffin sheet is also used)||£75|
|Private family time in Chapel of Rest (we hire time in a church, also includes transportation)||£250|
|Out of hours collection for homes and care homes (4pm – 8am, weekends and bank holidays)||£225|
|Out of area collection (typically hospital outside of London, elsewhere in UK)||£1.50 per mile|
- The lowest cost natural burial, based on Oakfield Wood at Shamley Green, family-led graveside service, with cardboard coffin, family pallbearers, hearsette transport, including plot purchase and interment fees, from £3,440
- Natural burial with use of Ceremonial Hall, based on Clandon Wood Natural Burial Ground, celebrant-led service, with wicker coffin, professional pallbearers, hearsette transport, including plot purchase and interment fees, from £6,630
* Click to view what our fee includes
Arranging the funeral and legal forms, collection and looking after your relative at our private facilities, online tribute page to help inform family and friends of the funeral details, hand-holding you through the process taking care of all the details, personal access to a team member including outside of office hours, our attendance on the day.
Payment terms: we appreciate how much you have to sort at this time, our terms are within 21 days of the funeral date, with payment by bank transfer.
We're here to help you - call 020 3281 1045
Arranging a natural burial funeral
We can help you to find a peaceful and environmentally friendly resting-place.
Easily accessible from SW London and Surrey are the tranquil nature reserve at Clandon Wood Natural Burial Ground, Oakfield Wood at Shamley Green and the glorious mature woodland at GreenAcres Chiltern. There are a number of other grounds to explore – see natural burial grounds.
We can advise on how to create a natural, meaningful service. And we ensure that all aspects of the burial meet with the relevant ecological requirements of the chosen site. This includes using a biodegradable coffin or shroud.
The funeral ceremony
GreenAcres Chiltern has a beautiful Woodland Hall and Clandon Wood has a pavilion sitting in its meadow where a service can be held first. Or you may prefer a simple graveside service. If the funeral is to be faith led, you may choose to have the service in a church first.
The service can be led by a Minister, Celebrant – or family led, we can help advise. We work as a team with who is leading the service to ensure the service is how you would like it to be.
We can set up an Online tribute page that helps you to inform family and friends of the funeral details including location and google maps- and can also include RSVP, tributes and donation details.
Keeping it green
- Eco-friendly coffins; we have a range of coffins made from sustainably sourced, biodegradable materials such as English Willow, bamboo, seagrass or cardboard with degradable linings (no MDF or plastic fittings).
- Transportation; our smart hearsette is a low key vehicle that works well in such natural settings. You can also see alternative funeral vehicles.
- Flowers; we recommend our florist who is able to ensure 100% biodegradable materials for funeral flowers upon request.
- Planting; each burial ground will have specific rules about planting and what is allowed
- No embalming; embalming is an invasive procedure and is not permitted for bodies to be buried at natural burial grounds, to avoid toxic chemicals leaching into the air and soil.
Association of Green Funeral Directors
White Rose Modern Funerals is a member of the Association of Green Funeral Directors.
This means we adhere to their code of practice – see the ‘Keeping it Green’ section above. It also means being transparent with pricing details, empowering bereaved families to arrange a funeral that meets their individual needs and allowing them to have as much involvement as they want.
Natural Burials Summary
At White Rose Modern Funerals we support and guide you through planning a funeral, giving you flexibility and choice.
If the environmental ethos behind a natural burial funeral appeals to you, we are able to recommend a suitable natural burial ground and ensure that the coffin or urn is made from natural, sustainable and biodegradable materials.
We will help you arrange a beautiful bespoke funeral service that reflects the unique character of the person who has died. You may choose a simple family-led service or we can recommend a celebrant, humanist or minister to lead the service.
Our fresh approach to pricing will give you transparency– and help to minimise unnecessary costs for a greener, more natural funeral.
Our knowledge and organisation skills will help you through what we know is an overwhelming and difficult time.
My family and I are deeply grateful for the sensitive handling of my husband’s funeral by White Rose Funerals in May 2019. What could have been distressing and unbearably sad turned into a celebration of my husband’s life, with us remembering the good life we had shared with him and his many qualities, his humour, his thoughtfulness, with which he enriched our lives. We are thankful to White Rose for their understanding and the care with which they first sought to establish our wishes and then arranged the funeral in exactly the way we had hoped for. Angelika P
The cost of a Natural Burial Funeral
White Rose Modern Funerals fee: £2,250 + 3rd party costs & options
Our fee includes
- Comprehensive support and planning to help guide you
- Collection of your loved one to be taken to private mortuary*
- Online announcement page with online RSVP
- Our smart Galaxy hearsette can be provided free of charge and typically suits the feel of a natural burial. Other hearse options are available.
- For procession to leave from family home please see options
- Additional location for the service – fee reduced to £1,950 for graveside service only
* Out of hours collection – Monday – Friday 4pm – 9am, weekends and bank holidays – incur an additional £195 fee (typically applies when collecting from a home or nursing home). Collections outside of 10 mile radius of Teddington are charged at £2 per mile.
Example burial plot and interment fees
Each natural burial ground has its own fee schedule, they typically charge from £1,240 (Shamley Green), £2,150 (Clandon Wood) and £2,240 (GreenAcres Chilterns). See list of natural burial grounds.
Standard payment terms
Once all options have been agreed an invoice is raised we ask that invoice payment is made in full 3 working days before the funeral takes place.
You would need to pay separately for the natural burial plot and interment fee (dependent on choice of natural burial ground).
You can then choose from a range of options such as the coffin, flowers, order of service and additional limousines (see Options).
As you decide the style of service you would like, the following options are all available at an additional cost. We will arrange everything for you, so you don’t have to worry. You can view more details in the Options menu of this site.
- Coffin – a suitable environmentally friendly coffin (or shroud) would be required – see coffin options
- Our Galaxy hearsette is included in our price, but alternative choices of transport from a traditional black hearse to stylish, quirky or unusual vehicles are available at an additional cost – see funeral vehicles (transferable value of £150 applied should you prefer an alternative transport option)
- Hearse procession to leave from the home (£100 supplement)
- Limousines – carry 6 people (£300 per vehicle)
- Pallbearers – typically 4 needed (£60 each)
- Dressing of your loved one in chosen outfit (£75 supplement)
- Private viewing of your loved one in Chapel of Rest (£100 supplement)
- Officiant for the service – see celebrant or minister (typically £220)
- Order of service printed booklet – see order of service (from £75)
- Photo printing – large format A2 print (£35)
- Flowers – a beautiful casket spray or floral tribute – see funeral flowers (from £160)
We are also able to assist with further personalisation for a funeral service or celebration of life – please enquire for pricing:
- Memorial Book
- Personalised Balloons
- Remembrance Candles
- Favours and Keepsakes
How it works
- Call us on 020 3281 1045 or complete our contact form
- We will arrange to meet you – either at your home, our office or other convenient location
- We will complete statutory forms and paperwork
- We will collect your loved one and bring them into our care
- We will liaise with you regarding choice of dates and natural burial ground.
- We will hand hold you through the whole process of planning the funeral, taking you through stage by stage so you are not overwhelmed, keeping you fully informed
- Choose music tracks or hymns for the service
- We can recommend a Minister or Celebrant if required
- See also Celebration of Life
Call 020 3281 1045 to speak to Nick or Jacqui about arranging a natural burial funeral. We will be happy to talk you through the process and answer any questions you may have.
Based in Teddington, White Rose provide burials and cremations throughout South West London and Surrey. As a husband and wife team, we hold your hand each step of the way to help organise a simple, modern, meaningful funeral.